Q: My child is failing a class. What should I do?

A: myStudent is an online grade book used by Pasco County Schools and it provides valuable information about grades, attendance and more. You might be able to find out why your student is doing poorly by looking at myStudent. Many times, a low grade is the result of the student not turning in work. If you have additional questions, we recommend you contact your child’s teacher(s) to discuss grades and ways in which the student can improve. Email is the most efficient way of contacting teachers. You can find a list of email addresses here. Alternatively, you may call the school and ask to leave a message for the teacher to call you.

Q: How can students request to see their counselor?

A: Students can sign up to see their counselor in the guidance office. If the student has a quick question, they are more than welcome to email their counselor; this is usually the quickest method.

Q: What is grade forgiveness?

A: Under state policy, students who receive a grade of D or F in a class may retake the class to improve their grade. The higher grade (C or better) will replace the D or F in the transcript and affect the GPA. Otherwise, the D or F grade received will be reflected on the transcript, as well as, affect the GPA. This policy only applies to final grades of D or F. Courses taken for grade forgiveness can only be taken outside of the normal school day through Adult Education or online classes. The credit recovery program is also available for grade forgiveness for eligible students. See counselor for details.

Middle School grades for high school credit may be eligible for forgiveness in cases where a C, D, or F was earned.

Dual Enrollment classes cannot be retaken for grade forgiveness.

Q: Are discussions between students and counselors confidential?

A: Counselors make every effort to maintain confidentiality; in other words, what you talk about stays between you and your counselor. However, there are instances in which confidentiality must be broken.

Such instances include:

  • When it is determined a student is a danger to him/her self (e.g., suicidal ideation, cutting or other means of self-harm)
  • If a student is a danger to others (e.g., homicidal ideation)
  • If the student is being abused or if the student is abusing others