Student Absence/Prearrangement of Student Absence All absences are considered unexcused until the student presents an excuse note to the front office or uses this email system. Students need to bring a note or use this email system within three days of the absence or it will not be accepted or excused. All information must be filled out on the email system correctly to make the excuse valid. Attendance records may take up to 48 hours to be adjusted in myStudent. State of Florida approved absence reasons include:
- Illness of student (After 3 consecutive absences for an illness/sickness, a doctor’s note will be required.)
- Major illness in the immediate family of the student (immediate family is determined as parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, aunts, uncles, legal guardians or persons in loco parentis, or a member of one’s own household).
- Death in the immediate family of the student.
- Religious holiday of the student’s faith
- Religious instruction (including Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Confirmation, etc.)
- Religious institutes, conferences, or workshops, provided that the principal or designee approves the absence in advance.
- Absences for trips or other parental requests as judged appropriate for the student by the principal or designee, provided that the requests are approved in advance.
- In-school or out-of-school Suspension.
- Subpoena or forced absence by any law enforcement agency. A copy of the subpoena or court summons must be submitted to the school.
Absences that are NOT excused are:
- Family emergency – must specify
- Car Trouble
- Slept Late
- Out of town
Important Note Students who have more than 6 unexcused absences* in a quarter or 10 unexcused absences in a semester, or misses 10 or more days in a single course in a semester will have a loss of privilege. This excludes prior administrative approval of religious observances or approved School Related Activities absences. The loss of privilege includes participating in extracurricular activities open only to students. This includes, but is not limited to dances, field trips and participation in athletics, until the end of the following grading period/quarter. *An “Absence” is defined as having three or more periods in a day.
Use of the Student Absence Reporting Form below indicates that you understand the description above. For illness and absences of 3 days or less, please use the form below:
To prearrange an absence of four or more days that does NOT include student illness, please use the form below. The form must be completed at least one week in advance of the first day of absence.
Early Dismissal In order for a student to have an excused absence when they leave during the school day they need to be checked out by a parent/guardian in the front office. There are no check outs after 1:15. If the student leaves without checking out in the guidance office the absence will NOT be excused. Student Code of Conduct Student Code of Conduct: For additional information regarding attendance policies, please see the Student Code of Conduct.